Jesus, My Father, the CIA and Me written by: Ian Cron
This memoir is a fascinating read about Ian's challenges, triumphs, and everything in between. As a child, he longed for the approval and love of his alcoholic father, who lived a secret life as a CIA agent. Ian turned to drugs and alcohol to earn his father's love but quickly realized that wasn't working so he decided to try a different role as "the good kid". Unfortunately, that didn't work either.
Ian was bitter towards God and didn't understand why He would not answer his prayers as a little boy. Because of this, he wanted nothing to do with God until his friend introduced him to Young Life which ultimately played a large role in the way Ian's life turned out. He never received what he was looking for from his earthly father, but finally came to terms with the heartache and pain with the help of his psychologist and received more than what he needed from his Heavenly father.
To be honest, I had a hard time getting into this book at first. However, I was so glad I pressed on and continued reading because it was definitely worth it. I was intrigued by the stories of his childhood. They allowed me to see a way of life that I have never experienced (thankfully) but know many people do. Even though I don't share his experiences of living with an alcoholic father, I could relate to him because there have been times where I have longed for someones approval and love. Because of this, I was able to rejoice with him, laugh with him, and even cry with him.
There were parts of the memoir that I felt he dragged out a little too much so I found myself skimming over various parts that seemed irrelevant to the story overall. However, the ending was phenomenal....I couldn't help but smile and my heart was filled with joy.
I would give this book three out of five stars.
I received this book free from the publisher through BookSneeze book reviewer blogger program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's Guidelines.
2 comments:
Wow, that does sound interesting! I am not sure I would have picked that book up by just reading the title. It is amazing how we try so hard to get approval and love from others, when the only one that should matter is the love of Christ. Love you!
this actually sounds good. can anyone do these book reviews and get free books? i would love to do it because i love to read!
Post a Comment