Sunday, November 16, 2008

I'm a KILLER...ok not really a killer just a hunter...

Ok so it finally happened- I killed my first buck. Since we moved to Nappanee I have got back into hunting and I really have enjoyed it. Its so awesome to have a place that is close but has a lot of game as well. Last year I shot a doe, but that's not the same as getting a (yes small) buck but its a buck none the less. Alright let me tell you the story- I was sitting in my tree stand for about 45 minutes and I saw a deer coming up the other side of the ditch that I hunt. I new that if I didn't get out of my tree stand the deer would not cross the ditch but just continue walking the other side and that was to long of a shot. So I stalked really quietly to get within rage of the deer's path. I had to wait on him because he was just meandering along like deer do, it felt like a lifetime. He came within range and I shot. I hit him but he ran off down the ditch and I couldn't see where he went. I actually had to track him- following the blood trail. I crossed the ditch and found the trail and luckily he didn't go that far. I was really exited, my heart was pumping so hard I thought I missed at first. After calling Jess I called my Dad who I used to hunt with when I was a kid to tell him the story. He was proud and I told him that I used his old gun which he was excited about. Oh well that's my story for this weekend...Funny thing- I took this week off work to go deer hunting and now I don't know how much I will go out? Don't worry I have a long honey-do list that Jess wants done. Lucky me...

6 comments:

Jessica said...

i'm so proud of you!! i was praying that you would get one early so i didn't have to get you up each morning. God answered my prayer!! :) sorry i couldn't eat the hind stuff...it was just too fresh. i will eat the jerkey though. my mouth is watering just thinking of it! and don't worry, you honey-do list isn't too long! ;) love you bunches!

The Brown's said...

Congrats John! That is wonderful, vension is so yummy! I am jealous!

jenn said...

yea!!! congrats my friend!!! how very exciting! i love how you took us through the moment too. i felt like i was there...all nervous and everything. and i'll take some of that jerkey :). ha! love ya lots...m.e.

Alicia said...

Congrats on your deer! And I'm so glad you took a picture of it! :) EWWW!

Jess said...

CONGRATS JOHN!!! That is quite an accomplishment!!! Great job! And yeah, you better save some jerky for us :) Love ya!

Unknown said...

Davis hunt...Davis kill...Davis eat meat...Davis is man! (grunt, grunt, grunt)