Thursday, January 5, 2012

new year, new resolutions? nope!

well, the davis family rang in the new year with a stomach virus.  it wasn't pleasant! greyson started the family off around 8 p.m.  i decided to stay in his room so i could assist with the mess and contain it the best that i could.  he was so restless all night and we both were awake most of the night.  i did hear the fireworks but i wasn't celebrating or having fun by any means.  john got sick around 1a.m. and kenna was sick when she woke up.  thankfully kenna wasn't vomiting like the rest of the crew, but none the less, her symptoms weren't pleasant either! i managed to defy the odds and remain healthy.  thank you, Jesus! 

anyway, with that being said-in case you missed it...new year's eve stunk-we did get to celebrate at a new years eve eve party.  we had a blast as usual with the clan.  :) 


g was glued to the band
 

we had a euchre tourney and a ski ball tourney
 

even though it was new years eve eve, we still did a count down
 
it seems everywhere i look i see or hear about the resolutions that people are making.  i rarely make resolutions because i usually fail miserably at them (and i already have my 30 things list to keep me busy).  this year, i decided to go a different route.  i picked two words that are going to be my focus for the year and let them impact my actions, thoughts, and words. 

drum roll please-my two words are:

self-discipline

and

simplify

as i reflected on these words i felt they applied to every area of my life, which is why i think they are excellent words to focus on this year.  i had a rough ending to 2011 and i realized (or finally admitted) that i am a perfectionist. as a result of this said perfectionism, i often don't live up to my own expectations and i started becoming really negative.  i don't think i would ever admit this-even though my husband has tried to point this out to me many times before-without reaching this low point that i did in the past few months.  i'm learning to love myself as God intended and trying to get back to experiencing the joy of the Lord.  i need to experience God's healing so that i can live for him without the weight of the world on my shoulders.  i plan to simplify my life so i don't feel so overwhelmed and i plan on being more disciplined in my devotions, exercising, eating, relationships, and in housework. i know that is a short simplified version, but i'm excited to focus on these words in 2012!

so how's that for ya?  did you make any resolutions?  if you had to pick a word for the year, what would it be?

2 comments:

Jess said...

Wow, I love your honest heart in this post! First, I would never think of putting you and negative in the same sentence at all! But I do know how we all act a bit differently at home. That rang true for me! It was great having you at the party!! We love you guys! If I had to choose a word, it would be health...spiritually, physically, and healthy actions (words and thoughts). Wow, awesome...I just chose a word to focus on and I am so excited!!!

Alicia said...

That is awesome that you are so honest! I know we all have things to work on. I could definitely work on the nagging (sorry Matt :)). I like things done a certain way and if they don't get done in that way or my timing, I tend to keep reminding.